The German-Israeli research project Scripta Qumranica Electronica seeks applications for a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Haifa. This is an opportunity for gaining expertise in advanced methodologies of scrolls research and digital editions, in a cooperative environment.
The fellowship term is October 2019 – March 2021. Prolongation until October 2021 is possible. The annual sum of the fellowship is 22,000 Euro (payed in Shekels), and the relative part thereof for additional months. No further benefits are provided.
The project Scripta Qumranica Electronica develops new tools and digital editions of the Qumran Scrolls, in cooperation with the universities of Haifa, Tel Aviv, and Göttingen, as well as with the Israel Antiquities Authority. The Haifa branch of the project focuses on the creation of digital editions, using paleography, philology, material reconstructions and digital tools. In particular, the team studies the cryptic texts from Qumran and the copies of the composition ‘Musar LaMevin’.
The successful candidate will:
- Pursue a project with connection to the Haifa team’s immediate interests (as indicated above).
- Gain expertise in the material study of scrolls, combining new technologies.
- Enrich the team with his or her abilities.
- Contribute to planning and carrying out digital editions.
- Participate in tasks, such as: text encoding, linking text with images.
- Take part in the communal work of the Haifa team, and of SQE in general.
- Be present in Haifa for at least 2 days a week.
- Work with SQE partners in Israel and abroad.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Excellent doctorate (PhD) in the Dead Sea Scrolls or related fields. The doctorate should be already approved by Oct 2019, and not earlier than 2014.
- Experience with one or more of the following: manuscripts, reconstruction of scrolls, critical editions, paleography, or digital humanities in general.
- Competence in Modern Hebrew and in relevant ancient languages.
- Experience with code developing, computer interfaces for manuscripts, graphics software, TEI, databases.
Candidates will send the following documents to Prof. Jonathan Ben-Dov:
- list of publications
- letter (1–3 pages) of declaration on the candidate’s suitability for the project
- detailing current and future research
- one letter of recommendation, to be sent directly by the letter’s author
Last application date: March 25th 2019. Queries can be sent to the address above.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.